grouting product is a compound used to fill the gap between two parts of a structure or between two identical structures. Application area of joint fillers it is quite wide. It is the first use that comes to mind when it comes to ceramic tiles. It is used to fill the gaps between tiles, which we are accustomed to seeing, especially in areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, balconies, terraces, entrances or swimming pools. In addition, joint fillings are used between walls, stones, bricks and marbles. The spaces between the masonry stones or bricks are filled with mortar and the top is leveled with a trowel to reveal the joints. The material that fills these gaps is joint filler.
Joint fillers are also used to fill cracks that may occur in concrete over time. Various openings may occur on the concrete surface after a while. These openings can occur due to climatic conditions or effects and the aging of the material over time. In this case, joint fillers are used to prevent these cracks from expanding and damaging the concrete. Joint fillers are basically a material that combines two materials. Therefore, it is considered cement or plaster based.
What Is The Best Grouting?
silicone joint sealant Type best grout variety. Before purchasing joint fillers, it should be considered which brand it is, silicon added and flex derz dolgu is recommended to be preferred. Silicone based joint fillershas long-term durability. Companies that produce joint sealants can produce silicone-containing or special-purpose caulks suitable for outdoor, intensive use. However, these specified joint fillers are generally suitable for outdoor use. home use grout For this, the type of silicone joint sealant is sufficient. Silicone joint sealant has a waterproof structure and feature and offers a long-term use. Joint filling alone is not sufficient for waterproofing. Under the ceramic, waterproofing must be done beforehand.
Click for the joint filler products and features of Kalekim brand.
Except that epoxy grout material is also used. Used in wall, floor, indoor and outdoor. Epoxy grout is mostly used in places that are exposed to chemical and mechanical effects. Epoxy grouting can be preferred in places such as food and beverage factories, dining halls, kitchens, swimming pools and spas.
What are the Usage Purposes of Grouting?
Purposes of use of grout and fields are listed below.
- It is used to close the gap between tiles, ceramics or tiles and to achieve a beautiful appearance.
- Thanks to its waterproof feature, it can prevent water from entering the subfloor and eliminate possible negative effects.
- It provides long-term durability by preventing cracking of ceramics that expand and contract at different temperatures. Therefore, it plays an important role in eliminating possible problems.
How Should Ceramics Be Made? What Should Be Considered?
Where is Joint Filling Used?
joint fillers It is used in almost all areas of interior or exterior. Generally, joints from 1 millimeter to 7 millimeters in length can be used. Filling types can be used according to the width of the tiles or the gaps formed between the tiles.
Cracks or crevices in the wall can be given as examples of misuse of joint fillers. However, this is not considered an adequate repair tool and is not recommended. For this reason, it is unhealthy to close the cracks or crevices in the wall with the help of joint filler.
What are the Causes of Joint Fillers Not Adhering?
Reasons for joint filler not holding are listed below.
- Before grouting, old joints should be cleared from the surface.
- If the gap between the joints is too large, the probability of not holding the joint is high. (joint thickness should be between 1 millimeter and 7 millimeters as we mentioned above). It is written on the package of the joint filler how many millimeters it is produced for and how it should be applied. For this reason, choosing the joint filler according to the area to be applied by measuring the distance of the area where the joint fillers will be applied provides healthy results.
- Using a damaged or expired joint filler is among the reasons for not keeping it.
- If the area to be grouted is a very dirty or oily area, it is highly possible that the grout will not hold.
Things to Consider in Grouting
- — The joint filler must be checked before use. The material should not be petrified or lumpy. Pay attention to the expiry date stated on the product.
- — It should be prepared as indicated on the product to be used.
- — in powder form groutingshould be poured slowly onto the amount of water indicated on the package. It should be mixed with a low speed mixer until a homogeneous mixture is obtained. Additives not specified in the application instructions should not be added.
- — The consistency of the joint sealant should be the same for applications to be made on the floor and on the wall.
- — It is important to clean the joints before the application. In addition, in hot weather, the joint gaps can be moistened so that the water in the joint filler mortar does not suddenly lose.
- — After grouting and filling between the joints, the wiping process begins. After the joint residues on the ceramic surfaces start to become dull, wiping can be started.
- — The wiping process should be done properly and care should be taken not to carry the residues on the ceramic surfaces between the joints.
- — The sponge to be used for wiping should be slightly damp. It should not be wiped wet.
- — Appropriate grouting material should be used according to the joint gap and the place to be applied.
- — Polyurethane based joint filling material should be used in areas such as parapet, expansion joint, floor joint.
- — In epoxy-based grouts, the wiping process should be started immediately after the application. Warm soapy water should be used in the wiping process. The application should be repeated 5-6 times until it is completely cleaned. The water and sponge used should be changed frequently.
- — Joint gaps should not be wet in epoxy and polyurethane grouting.
- — The ambient temperature must be between the values written on the product packaging.
How to Renew Old Grouting?
You can watch the application about the renewal of old joint fillers.